Friday, June 4, 2010

It has begun

I know that I'm not alone in my desire to travel and see new and interesting things. I have often dreamt of "taking off" to explore and get lost someday... Well, someday is now and I'm preparing to do just that. This blog will serve as my diary and a way for me to record events as they unfold on the road. I hope that I'm able to articulate my experiences in a manner that brings them to life.
I have been in California for some time and for the past couple of years in the employ of Ducati motorcycles. Some of you think that I'm crazy for walking away from that opportunity and for all I know, you may be right. But for all of the great opportunities that have been a direct result of this job, I can only imagine what may lie ahead. Throughout various times in my life I have thought of travelling around the U.S. and now I'm going to do it. I don't have a particular plan, (I know that is surprising), so I'm just going to "wing it".
I have thought of some places that I'd like to go and here are a few that have made the short list: Montana, Wyoming, Canada and Alaska. I plan to ride my motorcycle for some of these outings but will mostly travel by four wheels. I have really gotten into bicycling over the past couple of years and want to do some of my exploring by pedaling.

I think that I'm getting ahead of myself here with talk of a short list and mode of transportation and such.... So let me switch gears.

To start the recording of this adventure properly, I think that the right thing to do would be to record things in a logical manner; date, time and event format.

Ok.



Friday, June 4, 2010 - I'm sitting at my apartment in Los Gatos, CA after packing and preparing to move back to Portland, OR (which will become my home base).
I have begun my blog and am very excited about embarking on new adventure. But before I leave, I'm going to go for a couple of "last" bicycle rides with friends. There is even talk of a BBQ party on Sunday to send me off properly. Hopefully these will take place and I'll have pictures to share :)
Its kind of funny how a few friends have just discovered mountain biking and we've been going on a regular basis. Ben has definitely been the most excited and has single handily changed my mtn biking experiences in CA. He is super enthusiastic about the new-to-him sport and I often hear him laughing as we descend single track pitches and gain speed. Unlike me, Ben tends to research things online, finding endless lists of trails for us to discover. Its really too bad that I don't do that myself. I've been here for two years and only ridden one or two trails in the area... LAME! I'm going to take Ben's lead and research places to ride.
TJ is taking to trail riding like a duck to water. Thanks Sonja, for the mtn bike. It is now with a new owner who seems to be regressing in age as he learns how to giggle like a small child :)
Riding with these guys reminds me why I got into cycling.
I was starting to take the sport too serious. Competing can be good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment