Friday, June 25, 2010

Road Trippin'





It's been a few days since I have been able to post and there is a good reason. I've taken to the road on my moto :)
I left Portland on Tuesday afternoon with the Pike's Peak Hill Climb in Colorado Springs, CO as my intended destination. I took my time roaming through the mountains (and volcanos) of Eastern Oregon. I camped Tues night in Ochoco National Forrest. It was BEAUTFUL! Huge redwoods everywhere. There was another solo motorcyclist camping there. "Wayne", invited me over to his site for beers and story swapping. Considering that it was my first day out, I was fresh out of tales... He on the other hand had plenty. Wayne has been taking a month off for 15 years to roam by Harley and really enjoys it. I could totally see why! Maybe this is my first trip of many to come.
I got up early the next day and after looking a bit more closely at the map the night before I realized that there was a lot of ground for me to cover in a short time period.
I ended up taking some advice from Wayne on roads that may help reduce the time and was actually impressed with Northern Utah. Did you know that it is really pretty there??? I didn't! I was blown away by the changing scenery from high plains desert to high elevation mountain passes filled with more evergreens :)
Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Idaho. I rode across the bottom of Idaho and it was just boring and HOT! I couldn't get through there quick enough. I'm sure that Northern Idaho is pretty as I could see large mountains off in the distance. Maybe later I'll have time to make a run through. I ended up on Pocatello, ID for the night and stayed with our friends at Motel 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment